Right on time, CM 11 M5 builds are now hitting the Community Distribution channel.
Everyone seemed to like the mini changelog from the M4 release, so lets take a look at what M5 brings:
Trebuchet – Fix last icon from hotseat disappearing
Trebuchet – Fix custom home transition effect
Volume Panel – Increase opacity of transparency (previous level led to visibility concerns)
WhisperPush – Relocate to Privacy menu
WhisperPush – fix NPE on viewing identity if unregistered
Translations – Initial imports from CrowdIn (followup blog post next week)
MultiSim – Additional support patches (25+)
Privacy Guard – Additional AppOps permissions
Additional Right-to-left (RTL) layout mirroring support
Settings – Add ‘screen color’ support
Quickboot support (device specific)
Stylus – Fix eraser being disabled by palm rejection
NavBar – Allow toggle in runtime (needs kernel support)
Add ethernet icon support to status bar
Dialer – Open Source forward/backward/incoming look-up
M5 builds are actively generating at the time of this post.
D2lte and Jflte
Normally, we wouldn’t comment on specific device families in release posts – under the basic pretense that if the devices aren’t ready, they simply shouldn’t go out. D2 and JF present an interesting issue for us. As we unified GSM and CDMA variants into ‘one build to rule them all’ we’ve been making necessary modifications over the past 2 months or so to address all the feedback we’ve received. However, now that all the variants are served by one build, it would lead to confusion to release a build under the ‘M’ banner that worked great on 90% of the supported variants, but not the remaining 10%. Users of the CDMA nightlies for these devices would likely agree that there are still some niggling issues. It is our plan to address these items prior to green-lighting an M build for these families.
Understand that this decision stings. Our device maintainers have done an amazing job with planning, executing and handling all the complexity the unification process involves – and now we’ve held these devices from 2 M releases in a row. However we stand by the fact that release decisions should be based on the actual quality of the release; even if it means making an unpopular decision. If you are in desperate need of a D2/JF ‘flash’, then the nightly channel builds are available for that purpose. Else, trust that we make these decisions based on the responsibilities you place on this team. /tangent